Monday, April 11, 2016

What I learned from backup and restore: stop procrastinate, think more, write more, share more esp. on the blog

Many years ago, I met a Bible translation consultant and we talked about backing up the translation project data. He unbuttoned the shirt and pulled the CD out under his shirt ... He told me that is the way that he handled the backup. In addition he also send a copy of the data to somewhere else in his home country.

I was very careful handling Bible translation data when I was a project manager and advisers. Relatively I became less careful as I was no longer responsible for a specific project.

Recently I came across a number of issues and headache about backup and restore. The operating system being updated, the format of backup data may not be readable by the new system ... Most of documents can be recovered but not some of my work in my computer in last few weeks, Thank you for the cloud backup, most of my email communication are still there in the cyper space ...

Thus, the lesson I learned is not to procrastinate and try to write more on line and backup online. Thus after months of my last blog. I think I should think aloud in written form. Many of my ideas can be immature and not yet ready to publish. Life is a risk. Thinking is a risk. Sharing what you think could be even more risky.

One of my concern is that I see the need of Global Chinese but I was limited by my language proficiency, I speak fluent Cantonese, but I am not able to process Chinese as fast as English, even though my English is broken and can not be well understood by English native speaker. Most of the academic and profession vocabulary used by me are in English, as I was taught in secondary school using English textbook and vocab, but the class was explained in Chinese ...

Anyway, I admire people like Augustine, who wrote more than I read. I am pondering recently more on academic publishing -- how good is good enough, shall I focus or balance between quantity of ideas or quality of the writing in a ever changing world. Obsolete can be a scaring word but is the reality.

Thus, you may see me to share more often in the coming few weeks.
  

No comments :