Saturday, May 7, 2016

"Being Faithful to the Calling" Josiah S Mann Lectures by Rev. Siu - Day 6 of 50

I have just finished a series of 4 sessions with total 8 hours 2016 China Graduate Theological Seminary 萬崇仁教牧學講座 Josiah S Mann Lectures on Pastoralia. 

The theme is "Being Faithful to the Calling"

The topics are calling, pastor's personal growth-liberty with the expectation/evaluation from the congregation/public,  pastor and authority, pastor and ministry.

萬崇仁教牧學講座:忠於牧職呼召(一)回歸呼召
萬崇仁教牧學講座:忠於牧職呼召(二)牧職成長-公眾評價中的自由


萬崇仁教牧學講座:忠於牧職呼召(三)教牧與權威-從自處到相處

萬崇仁教牧學講座:忠於牧職呼召(四)教牧事奉-從耗盡到安息


Thank you for Rev. Gordon Siu S. W.'s sharing. I am still pondering a number of points. After being away from Hong Kong, I really appreciate this serie to help me understand some of the struggle of Hong Kong's churches through the sincere sharing, response and discussion about many relevant and practical issues. I haven't read Rev. Siu's book about the topics. I hope there can be more concrete Biblical ground for the practice.  I hope that I can learn more about theology, Biblical Studies along with these practical guidance and recommendation.
I think a number of issues is not just applicable to pastors, but also to the missionaries. A number of friends from U.S of other places have been asking me about the churches in Hong Kong, I think these series can be a snapshot for some of the essence of issues of Hong Kong's church from the perspective of pastoral staff and professors of the seminary. Rev. Siu already pointed out that the view of calling and calling as the admission requirement of Seminaries can be different between Hong Kong and the West. CGTS started with faculty trained in the West and planted the theological education institute in Hong Kong context. I hope the video of these lectures can have English subtitle for English speakers. I think the  global mandarin speaking Christians can also be benefit from it with Chinese subtitle as well.

I started with session 4 with the following observations:

1. Churches system mentioned seems to be rather top down. I just wonder whether that's because Rev. Siu's CMA denominational background.
2. Pastoral(Missionary) calling is special and superior than other calling to layman participating in ministry.
3. Pastoral with Christ-like characters, integrity and strong spiritual dimension are crucial for authority.
4. There  are crisis with the divided political opinion within the church, the authority of the church and pastors are being challenged.
5. Knowing self and understanding/empathy is crucial for the ministry and personal growth.
6. The difficulty is the reality of pastoral ministry by default. Pastor grow through the dependence upon God and going through the path of growing in the pastoral ministry.
7. Temptation and dark sides of human sinful nature, such as pride, jealousy, power/authority, unhealthy esteem, desire prevent pastor from serving faithfully.

I hope I can have more reflection in next coupe days or weeks.


No comments :