Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Dissatisfaction with leadership and despicable me - Day 2 of 50

In the beginning of this year, I was asked to write about leadership based on the book of Jeremiah. Since then, I have been thinking what does it mean leadership.As I tried to do some work study, I think God empowered servant, rather than worldly leader.

As we are dissatisfied with a leader, we might find that once this leader was follower of another leader who disappointed her/him and he had a dream of being better leader.

Sometimes, we may see areas of the leader, government or authority above us have rooms to be improved. And I wonder, what would we be different in the place of the leadership with authority. We may be right to see a piece of structure need to be fixed, without understanding this fix associate with the whole architecture.

Who can see the whole picture of these global connection and the development through these history? If the road of leadership is the path of failure, the issue is not about who is the leader.
I am not sure how true is that "Absolute power would be absolute corrupt". Absolute is often a concept beyond reality. After these years of services, I fear that my observation is align with most of the time about the premise that power corrupt.

As Peter Drucker mentioned that if there is a position or job that no one can fit it well, the issues may not only be the people taking the position/job, but the one who define the job.

The authority or membership of church and NGO prescribe a perfect pastor/leader with our imagination and expectation from us,the fallen human being. I think that's one of the reasons why it is so difficult to find leader finishing their job well. I fear that the initial prescription or definition of leader can be problematic.


There is only the Architecture of the universe can lead with all knowledge and all power. There is only Father and one Teacher. We all are brothers and sisters. We all are fellow students of the Master knowing all.

What we can do is to serve the One by serving others. I don't think the world need more leaders, I think we need more humble servants, who are aware of their servant hood, brotherhood and studentship. Thus, you can see why I have the passion to mobilize laity and ordinary people.

At the same time, let's left up our hands and pray for those servants with authority, serving their follower well with wisdom for their making decision, trouble shooting, problem solving.

No comments :