Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Calling to Minister/laity, Burning out and Rest - Day 3 of 50

I was listening and Watching a couple session of Rev. Gordon Siu's sharing in the areas of calling to the pastoring ministry, Burning out and Rest.
It is a timing lectures/sermons for me. I just wonder whether I am in a mode of burning out without noticing it.

Stress, Burning Out and Rest


I recalled reading a book by Rev. Philip Teng, in one incidence Rev. Teng asked him how did he handling stress. Rev. Philip's replied is "I refuse it."

I also recalled one of my teacher in SIL school told me that stress test might increase the stress. I think when we are coming across difficult time, we need to focus on God, and not the issues/circumstances and be self-pity.
Thus, I will suggest going/praying to God, physical exercise, changing your job/task of different nature, rest and seek for help. Humorous and laugh at yourself may help, if you are already good at that. I think that is kind of cliche.

I just wonder what are the burnout rates of pastors or missionaries. Which one would be higher?

Calling to laity


As I have been thinking the topic of engaging Chinese diaspora. Most of the people would agree all Christians have their calling. Whether the calling should be different from other calling, I am not sure. Based on the priesthood of all believers, I think all calling are equal.
Rev. Siu and the panel seem agree that the calling to be pastor should be different. I just wonder whether that's from their observation or there is Biblical bases.

I think many of the Christian institutes and organizations nowadays are build for some pragmatic reason and not necessary based on the biblical ground. Thus, I think we may need to reconstruct the structure of Christian church and organization but still make sure the function and essence of the Christians communities are still there.

One of the topic is about the persistence and continuity of the calling from God. Since the calling is from the sovereign God, He can choose to call for different role in different time.

No comments :